Legal Separation / Separate Support

An Alternative to Divorce

Law Office of Kevin P. O'Malley, P.C.


An Alternative to Divorce

Legal separation is an alternative to divorce for people who can no longer live together peacefully. Though separation is sometimes just the first step toward divorce, its legal results are very similar to an actual divorce in Massachusetts.

If you and your spouse are living separate and apart, an experienced attorney who understands what you are experiencing can counsel you through the legal details of a separation agreement.

If you have questions about legal separation or separate support, contact The Law Office of Kevin P. O’Malley, P.C. online or call our Boston area law office in Medford at 1-781-395-7070.

How Our Attorneys Can Help

If you have made the decision to separate, our experienced lawyers can assist you in all aspects of a legal separation, including:

  • Creating a separation agreement
  • Filing a complaint / establishing separate support
  • Determining child custody and support
  • Establishing a parenting plan

What is Separate Support?

Whether you were married or not, a form of financial support called separate support may be appropriate when two people separate. Similar to spousal support or alimony, separate support assists a member of the splitting couple who needs to be supported financially following the breakup.

At The Law Office of Kevin P. O’Malley, P.C. we are committed to learning as much about you and your family as possible, in order to create an optimal arrangement for you. For experienced legal advice in all family law matters, contact us online or call 1-781-395-7070.


Phone: 781-395-7070

Fax: 781-391-6919

Business Hours: 8a-5:00p M-F

Address: One Shipyard Way Suite 1190 Medford, MA 02155

Life Can Change Unexpectedly

Contact us today for a consultation